[mythtv-users] MythTV newbie needs hardware advice

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sat Jun 24 16:43:58 UTC 2006

Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> says:
> The main piece of hardware advice I would give to anybody is
> "don't experiment."   Unless you are experimenting for the private
> thrill of experimenting.
>
> Buy hardware that lots of people have running well and easily under
> Myth.  Don't buy anything else.

Agreed. See
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/172826#172826>
and
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/176328#176328>
for more on my take on this.

> > So, question #1: what is the best option for making it controllable by
> > an IR remote?
>
> I personally think using Myth involves the keyboard far more than
> most people would admit.   So while I have a remote, I never use it,
> I just use my $20 lite-on IR keyboard.

Disagree. Training my MX-500 remote with the IR codes from my IR
keyboard lets me do *everything* from the remote. (I really should do
a "My experience with . . ." message discussing my remote setup sometime.)