[mythtv-users] Scheduling dilemma

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jun 24 08:50:35 UTC 2006

On 06/23/2006 12:08 AM, Greg Stark wrote:
> "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> writes:
>> Reschedule Higher Priorities
>> Move higher priority programs to other cards and showings when resolving
>> conflicts.  This can be used to record lower priority programs that
>> would otherwise not be recorded, but risks missing a higher priority
>> program if the schedule changes.
>>
>> would do exactly the opposite of what the OP wants.
>>
> It sure sounds like it. It sounds like what happened to me is a bug and
> shouldn't have happened without this checkbox set.

I don't think we can call it a bug, yet.  Without knowing a lot more
information (including everything else in your program listings), we
really don't know what actually happened...

> However it also sounds like I, generally speaking, do want this setting
> enabled. I only want it disabled (and working properly) for live events like
> sporting events. It seems to me that it shouldn't be a general setup flag but
> a scheduling option for each individual recording.

Post your patches on the Trac server.  ;)

>> Disable "Reschedule Higher Priorities" and set your World Cup recording
>> rule to the highest priority (99) to ensure it always records at first
>> showing.
>>
> It already is the highest priority at that time (+8) and higher than the later
> showing.

And "Reschedule Higher Priorities" is disabled?

> What I have currently is
>
> Saudia Arabia vs Spain 	10am +8 Will Record
> Tunisia vs Ukraine 	10am +8 Later Showing
>
> Saudia Arabia vs Spain 	12pm +4 Earlier Showing
> Tunisia vs Ukraine 	12pm +4 Will Record
>
> I have a bunch of other shows in those 6 hours but they range in priorities
> from -1 to +3. None are close to +8.

Without the whole schedule, it's impossible to explain why it's doing
what it's doing.  mythbackend --printsched ?

> One thing that may be catching me here is that I have the games scheduled to
> record 25 minutes past the end (I missed the end of a game earlier). But
> mythtv seems aware of the fact that recording two programs in a row is just as
> good. It's perfectly happy to do it if I lower the priority of the later
> showing of Tunisia vs Ukraine so that it gets overridden by the +3
> programming. Then it records it in the earlier time slot.

Is that set to record 25 minutes past on the individual recording rule,
or are you talking about the global setting?  (Sounds like the global,
but need to make sure.)

Mike