[mythtv-users] Myth and 64 bit OK? Seeing too many issues

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 24 00:32:58 UTC 2006

On Jun 23, 2006, at 6:16 PM, Mark wrote:

> I have set up several Mythboxes before no problem. ( 32 bit and PVR
> 250's )
>
> This time, I have an athlon 64 ( FC5 X64 version ) and a PVR 500.
>
> I am getting no where with this setup so far ( any volunteers for
> assistance? )
> If I rmmod ivtv and modprobe ivtv then I can capture raw off /dev/
> video0 and /dev/video1
> But then it seems to hang after a bit and I have to rmmod it.
>
> Should I just be going with the 32 bit OS?
>
> Some assistance to get past this would be appreciated.  I have
> never run into this many issues in the past.

I once was running an Athlon64 with Gentoo in 64-bit mode. MythTV
built and ran fine using the standard Gentoo Ebuild, so I don't think
there is anything inherently not 64-bit clean in Myth, although some
ancillary stuff might have problems.

This was back with version 0.18.

I'm now running that hardware with a MythDora installation, which is
a 32-bit FC system, and as far as I can tell there is no advantage to
running Myth in 64-bit mode.

Certainly more folks are running 32-bit Myth systems, even those with
64-bit CPUs, and you;re usually better off running something more
common.

There are the usual problems with 64-bit Linux of course, the lack of
a 64-bit flash plugin/player being one, if you consider that a
problem :-) Also some "proprietary binary blob" type drivers are
either not available or lag behind their 32-bit cousins. You also
can't use the Windows  codecs easily, as you can with 32-bit Linux.

But it ought to work.