[mythtv-users] Advice on UK-based providers.

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 23:28:32 UTC 2006

On 22/06/06, Paul Simpson <paul at maggiandpaul.dnsalias.com> wrote:

> Now, my question concerns advice on the appropriate mix of sources. Also,
> can anyone tell me what channels I can get from each, both free and on
> subscription?

60s looking gave me:

http://freeview.co.uk/channels/
http://www.home.ntl.com/page/packagecomparechannels
http://www.sky.com/ordersky/channelpackages

> Ideally, I'd like to avoid having loads of decoder boxes in addition to my
> back-end.

This is a problem with either ntl:digital or Sky Digital. You need a
capture card per cable/satellite box, and a box for each simultaneous
recording you want to make. You'll also need a way to control them -
most people will use a serial/USB IR transmitter connected to the
backend machine. If you just have a DVB-T-based system, you can just
keep adding cards until you have enough to support your needs.

> What cards will take a raw aerial / cable / satellite feed?

For Freeview, a supported DVB-T card is all that is required.

For subscription-based Sky or ntl, you're looking at a Hauppauge
PVR-xx0-type card to record output using composite/S-Video from the
box. You can also use a DVB-S card with a suitable dish to gain access
to the unencrypted satellite channels.

> I'm sure I've seen a card advertised with an add-on that can take a cable
> decoder smart-card to allow me to avoid a cable STB. Are there any cards
> out there that can do this AND decode multiple channels simultaneously? Is
> there a similar device available for satellite?

I'm fairly certain there are none that ntl will allow you to connect
to and register on their network.

> When NTL installed cable where I am now, the guy told me that they send an
> UHF TV feed down the coax as well and that I can split the signal and feed
> it directly into the UHF of my TV. I tried this and it works. Does anyone
> know if the freeview channels are also sent this way?

Back in the day it used to be just just the 5 analogue channels. Can't
say whether DVB is also available this way.

> All in all, I'm looking for a solution which gives me as many channels as
> possible for as little cost as possible. The kids love the Cartoon Channel
> and anything showing The Simpson's. I just want to get a channel that
> shows "The New Yankee Workshop" :-D

I have 2 ntl boxes, 2 PVR-x50 cards, and 4 DVB cards. This allows
recording of two cable shows simultaneously, or watching Live cable
and recording something other. Obviously anything on DVB does not
affect things at all.

For Norm, you'll want to have Discovery RealTime (was called Home and
Leisure) in your package - on ntl it's in the Family Pack.

HTH,
Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki: