[mythtv-users] Is there a distributed filesystem available?

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Wed Jun 21 22:17:02 UTC 2006

davatar at comcast.net wrote:
> Every FS I know of under linux needs to have RAID so it doesn't lose the entire filesystem with a disk failure. I want to run a filesystem that may lose some data from losing one disk but does not lose _all_ data. I know of several commercial file systems that do this, but not for linux.
>
> Is this possible under linux? i.e. I want to run 3 disks for my recordings directory. If I lose one, maybe I lose a handfull of recordings, I'll just have to get them recorded again! If I run LVM spanning, goodbye all files!.

Would you consider a DIY solution?

Run myth in the usual way and have a background process that
periodically moves some files to another fs (local or remote)
and replaces a symlink in their place. Myth will have no
knowledge of this.

You now have full control on how to distribute the data, you
may even decide to keep more than one copy if you have the space
(in different places naturally) and you can reorganise it all
as your storage situation changes (e.g. migrate some of your
FSs to larger disks).

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>
	attach .zip as .dat