[mythtv-users] Washed-out areas in video output

Nathan Smith nsmith5 at umbc.edu
Wed Jun 21 19:02:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2006, at 11:03 AM, Nathan Smith wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > When I play TV (live) in myth on my 24 dell LCD monitor, the white/
> > light
> > areas bleed into one another. It sounds like a contrast or brightness
> > issue, but the black areas are not overly black (they look about
> > right),
> > and skin tones look perfect. Also, when I watch live tv with my
> > normal old
> > tv (using the tv-out port on my video card), the image looks fine.
> >
> > I tried changing the contrast on my monitor, and it just made the
> > whole
> > image more grey, with the same washed-out effects that I was
> > experiencing.
> > Could these washed-out areas be a function of XvMC (I heard XvMC is
> > broken
> > in 0.19 anyway?), or is it caused by a setting I'm not aware of, or
> > are
> > LCD monitors just not that great for watching tv with myth? Thanks

> Since you mention using the TV out with your "normal old" TV, I
> assume you are using the VGA or DVI output of your video card to
> watch TV on your LCD ?

Yep, I'm using the DVI output.

> What sort of LCD monitor are you trying to watch TV on? how is it
> connected up?

The monitor I'm using is a Dell 24inch 2405FPW, which is relatively new..
I also tried hooking up my (old, about 2002ish) Samsung 17inch LCD (I
think a multisync??), and it looked the same.

> It sounds as though you might be overdriving your LCD with too much
> luminance signal. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about
> that beyond your brightness control, which you don't mention trying
> but I assume you have.

Right I did mess with the brightness, but kind of like the contrast
controls, it just made the washed-out whites a little less white, but
still washed-out.. I was thinking I may be using the wrong color-set
somewhere, but mass searches of google and helps didn't offer any help on
that. Any other ideas?

Nate