[mythtv-users] Is there a distributed filesystem available?

Matthias Thyroff Matthias at thyroff.net
Wed Jun 21 06:50:52 UTC 2006

Sorry, a correction:

Am Mittwoch, 21. Juni 2006 08:29 schrieb Steve Hodge:
> On 6/21/06, Indulis Bernsteins <indulis.b at au1.ibm.com> wrote:
> > An alternative would be to have a 2nd disk, with a different filesystem
> > on it (run JFS/XFS on the main mythtv filesystem, and the other one on
> > your "backup" filesystem).
> >
> > Then set up a job which permanently cycles around looking for new files
> > (find has an option to find files created/modified since XXXX), and
> > copies them to the 2nd disk. Set this up to be low priority (nice -20) or
> > to run at a time when mythtv is not recording. If your 1st filesystem or
> > disk crashes, remount your 2nd drive's filesystem as the main one.
>
> I think you're still missing the point. A backup is not necessary -
> losing some recordings isn't that much of a problem. But if you've got
> multiple drives in your machine anyway, it'd be nice to not lose all
> your recordings, and it'd be nice to be able to set that up without
> using RAID. RAID 5 costs you capacity and is less easy to add or
> remove drives from.
>
> Steve

You could set up a  userjob to move the files to other filesystems in a list
of configured filesystems, and create a link in your original mythtv
filesystem, and configure myth to follow links when deleting. The filesystems
are configured in a config file. The script checks for free space on each fs
and moves the file to the filesystem with most free space.

Filesystems Could be additional disks or network shares (does "follow links
when deleting" work?).

I am glad that the discussion is back to technical issues.

Cheers

	Matthias