[mythtv-users] Is there a distributed filesystem available?

Matthias Thyroff Matthias at thyroff.net
Wed Jun 21 06:39:26 UTC 2006

Am Mittwoch, 21. Juni 2006 08:29 schrieb Steve Hodge:
> On 6/21/06, Indulis Bernsteins <indulis.b at au1.ibm.com> wrote:
> > An alternative would be to have a 2nd disk, with a different filesystem
> > on it (run JFS/XFS on the main mythtv filesystem, and the other one on
> > your "backup" filesystem).
> >
> > Then set up a job which permanently cycles around looking for new files
> > (find has an option to find files created/modified since XXXX), and
> > copies them to the 2nd disk. Set this up to be low priority (nice -20) or
> > to run at a time when mythtv is not recording. If your 1st filesystem or
> > disk crashes, remount your 2nd drive's filesystem as the main one.
>
> I think you're still missing the point. A backup is not necessary -
> losing some recordings isn't that much of a problem. But if you've got
> multiple drives in your machine anyway, it'd be nice to not lose all
> your recordings, and it'd be nice to be able to set that up without
> using RAID. RAID 5 costs you capacity and is less easy to add or
> remove drives from.
>
> Steve

You could set up a  userjob to move the files to other filesystems in a "round
robin" style, i.e. each time to another configured filesystem (check for
space upfront?), and create a link in your original mythtv filesystem, and
configure myth to follow links when deleting.

Could be additional disks or network shares.

Adding a new drive would be an issue to-be-solved: you have to reach an equal
fill for all drives after adding a new disk; but that should be possible with
an additional script.

I am glad that the discussion is back to technical issues.

Cheers

	Matthias