[mythtv-users] Is there a distributed filesystem available?

Rod Rod at Rods.id.au
Wed Jun 21 06:22:12 UTC 2006

Indulis Bernsteins wrote:

> An alternative would be to have a 2nd disk, with a different
> filesystem on it (run JFS/XFS on the main mythtv filesystem, and the
> other one on your "backup" filesystem).
>
> Then set up a job which permanently cycles around looking for new
> files (find has an option to find files created/modified since XXXX),
> and copies them to the 2nd disk. Set this up to be low priority (nice
> -20) or to run at a time when mythtv is not recording. If your 1st
> filesystem or disk crashes, remount your 2nd drive's filesystem as the
> main one.
>
> Also, I don't think that using the Software RAID mirroring is as bad
> as you say (ie days of rebuild), esp for mirroring/RAID 1.   There are
> alot of other things which can cause major problems and if you have an
> OS filesystem crash what are you going to do?  Days to rebuild, right?
>  I think you are making life too complex for yourself and focussing on
> creating a solution to a problem that is rare- there are a LOT of
> other things that can bite you (do you have a 2nd power supply in your
> server?  a standby server?).
>
> But that is just my opinion, if you want to have 2 filesystems, then
> go for it!  It'd actually be a nice thing if mythtv could handle
> multiple filesystems for storage.
>
> Indulis

    Just as a thought, is it possible to run a "User Job" like ...

UserJob1  `/bin/cp %1 /usr/share/backup1`

    So, using the UserJobs, to backup the file after recording to a
designated location, this may be a way for automating the backup to a
new location..