[mythtv-users] How can I join together two MPEG2 recordings?

Christopher Friend christopher_friend at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 20 18:26:37 UTC 2006

>How do I concatenate the second recording (both MPEG2, of course) to
>the end of the first? Is it simply a matter of 'cat recording2.nuv >>
>recording1.nuv' then using lossless transcoding's MPEG2 error-fixing
>feature to smooth out the rough spots, so to speak (and, if necessary,
>edit the recording to snip out unrepairable portions)? Or must I
>resort to more-drastic measures?

You could always download a copy of avidemux (try searching in your package
manager, or search it. windows version avail. too), I've found it to be the
best GUI type program for editing video files. MPEG > MPEG join would be as
simple as oppening the first, then file > append and opening the second,
then just save it. while you're at it you can cut stuff out, transcode
video/audio, or just about anything.

Alternatively, if you've got windows then you could try something by
Boilsoft. http://www.boilsoft.com/ They seem to have something for
everything. Had to use their mpeg splitter to split an mpeg that avidemux
wouldn't open just a couple hours ago.
http://www.boilsoft.com/avi-mpeg-rm-joiner.html That'll be the joiner
version, but it doesn't do anything other than what it says on the tin.

Christopher