[mythtv-users] Getting sound to work

Nathan Smith nsmith5 at umbc.edu
Mon Jun 19 21:56:49 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm trying to get sound working in MythTV. ESD works fine, and I obtained
the device it's using to output sound with:

lsof -c esd

and the device is /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p. After this I entered in this device
into mythtv-setup and also mythfrontend (does it matter if the sound
device in the video source is the same as the audio device in the
mythfrontend settings??), but I have no output. Are there any tests I can
run, or any diagnostics to see why this is happening? I did make sure to
shut down ESD before loading myth. Is ALSA a preferred method of sound
(using ALSA:default), over using a named device? Thanks!

Nate