[mythtv-users] BBC HD stream with latest MPlayer-1.0pre8

Wander Winkelhorst w.winkelhorst at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 14:43:11 UTC 2006

On 6/19/06, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19/06/06, Neil Sedger <mythtv-users at moley.org.uk> wrote:
> > The latest MPlayer release - 1.0pre8 posted 11th June including the
> > latest ffmpeg - plays the BBC's 1080i test stream downloaded from
> > somewhere (featuring Attenborough and a storm).
>
> Does this mean than mencoder will be able to transcode it into mpeg2?
> If so, any tips on how to do so would be very welcome.

Well, as far as I know, the general rule is: if MPlayer can play it,
Mencoder can read it and encode to a other format.

I never encode to MPEG2, but this should work for encoding it to MPEG4. I'm
sure encoding to MPEG2 won't be very different:

mencoder -mc 0 -oac mp3lame -lameopts mode=0:abr:br0 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate 00 -o "$OUTPUTFILE" -quiet "$INPUTFILE"

This encodes an input file to a 2000kbs videostream with a 160kbs audio
stream.

There are a LOT of other options you can (and should if you want better
quality) use, but I didn't include them here for clarity.

I hope this helps,

Regards,
Wander.