[mythtv-users] Mythbackend causing high load

Sammy J sammyj654 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 19 12:32:01 UTC 2006

On 6/18/06, Mike Benoit wrote:
> My best "guess" is it has more to do with IVTV then Myth, but thats just
> a pure guess based on the fact that I was getting all kinds of buffer
> overflows from IVTV, until I upgraded to v0.4.5 when they stopped (at
> least being logged).

  I was having this problem with various FC4+mythtv 0.19 installes based on atrpms. I reinstalled my box using the recently released MythDora 2.1 and it seems to be working great. They are using ivtv version 0.4.3 (release) and Linux version 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-4.0. Note that the current release of MythDora is 2.32, not 2.1. I have not upgraded to 2.32 yet so I do not know whether that works as well as 2.1 or not. 2.32 is a later kernel (2111), a later mythtv (0.19-128) and a later version of ivtv (0.7.113) http://g-ding.tv/?q=change_log. If anyone who previously had this problem succesfully installs this, that would be nice to know.

  BIG FAT WARNING: MythDora wants to wipe out your system to install itself. It is very clear about this. If you're upgrading a box make sure you have a backup of your database and do not do an automatic install. Do a custom install by entering "custom" at the boot prompt. If you have your "/myth" directory tree on a different set of disks than / you can have it wipe / and /boot and you'll be in business. I'm not sure how well it will work if you cannot seperate your myth files (recorded programs) from the / tree which MythDora will install into.

  See http://g-ding.tv/?q=MythDora for links to the torrent files.
  See http://g-ding.tv/?q=node/320 for one person's notes about how to upgrade to MythDora from FC2+Mythtv 0.18.

  When you get to the Package Group Selection screen, do not choose "everything". When I did that the resulting installation would not log in properly nor did the nvidia installation seem correct. Reinstalling and just adding my video package (nvidia) to the list to install worked fine.

  YMMV