[mythtv-users] Mixing HDTV and ivtv capture cards?

myth tv myth at captainbeer.com
Sun Jun 18 00:27:13 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I've been running a frontend (viewing only) and backend (capture only) systems for a few months now.  I've very unhappy with the quality of recorded and live TV.

The backend is running FC4, Intel 3.2Ghz, 1GB Ram, 300gb SATA drive with EXT3 partition.  Its connected to the network through a gig-ethernet NIC into a Cisco switch.  The capture card is a PVR-250

The frontend is also running FC4, Intel 3.2Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 200gb SATA drive with EXT3 partition, gig-ethernet to the same switch.  The output to my Panasonic 42" EDTV is through an nVidia GeForece6600 GT PCI-E card, with a monster cable DVI to HMDI cable.

The frontend plays DVD's with no problem, its just live TV and recorded TV that looks like I'm watching a VHS tape that's been left in the trunk of my 1978 toyota corola in the phoenix heat for 10 years.

What I'm looking to accomplish is to:

a) have acceptable, digital cable quality viewing of live and recorded TV through the frontend system.
b) use the backend for the majority of captures.  In the future, I may add  firewire/cable box capture to the frontend.
c) use multiple capture cards in the backend.    As I already have a PVR-250 (ivtv), I'd like to continue to use it, and add in an HDTV capture card, (or two or three in the future).

I don't have a problem replacing some equipment, so if the hardware I'm using isn't fantastic for myth, through out some suggestions.  :)

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Ed