[mythtv-users] How do I access a forwarded port on Box A from Box B?

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Sat Jun 17 20:54:50 UTC 2006

On 6/17/06, Robert Tsai <mythtv at tsaiberspace.net> wrote:
> This is in the ssh man page:
>
>         -R [bind_address:]port:host:hostport
>
> so you probably want:
>
>         ssh ... -R 0.0.0.0:8080:localhost:80
>
> (or the IP address of your myhomemachine).
>
> The "tcp6" line is IPv6 stuff. Nothing unusual.
>
> --Rob

That doesn't work for me. I have:
     -R port:host:hostport
             Specifies that the given port on the remote (server) host is to
             be forwarded to the given host and port on the local side.  This
             works by allocating a socket to listen to port on the remote
             side, and whenever a connection is made to this port, the connec-
             tion is forwarded over the secure channel, and a connection is
             made to host port hostport from the local machine.  Port forward-
             ings can also be specified in the configuration file.  Privileged
             ports can be forwarded only when logging in as root on the remote
             machine.  IPv6 addresses can be specified with an alternative
             syntax: port/host/hostport
AUTHORS
     OpenSSH is a derivative of the original and free ssh 1.2.12 release by
     Tatu Ylonen.  Aaron Campbell, Bob Beck, Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo
     de Raadt and Dug Song removed many bugs, re-added newer features and cre-
     ated OpenSSH.  Markus Friedl contributed the support for SSH protocol
     versions 1.5 and 2.0.

     T. Ylonen, T. Kivinen, M. Saarinen, T. Rinne, and S. Lehtinen, SSH
     Protocol Architecture, draft-ietf-secsh-architecture-07.txt, January
     2001, work in progress material.

FreeBSD 4.4                   September 25, 1999                   FreeBSD 4.4

also, using * instead of localhost just got me a bunch of errors on
the remote machine like:
connect_to *: unknown host (No address associated with hostname)

--
       RichardBronosky