[mythtv-users] Selectively enabling a repo is bogus

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Jun 17 16:55:26 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 09:44:19AM -0700, David Highley wrote:
> "Axel Thimm wrote:"
> > > Yum let me upgrade mythtv-frontend from 0.19-120 -> 0.19-129 without
> > > forcing an upgrade of libmyth as well.
> >
> > Probably because you asked yum to do so by only selectively enabling
> > ATrpms. If so, then that's a bug in your local yum config. Selective
> > upgrades miss some bits and you got bitten by it. Don't do it, it's
> > neither supported, nor healthy for your system.

> Some of which like spamassassin are in the core distribution. So yes
> I selectively update and I'm looking at the head aches of building
> mythtv and xmltv from source. I had to do the excludes just to get
> around the dependency failures.

Well, you have three choices:

o build yourself. Always works as a last resort and you know whom to
  blame for bugs :)
o fiddle around with repo subselections and trigger hard to find
  bugs, because you only updated half your system like the reporter
  did. You're on your own here, too, even more than in the previous
  case.
o Simply trust the sources of mythtv packages that they also know what
  they are doing with spamassassin. This is the supported setup, and
  if something breaks you can start yelling.

FWIW spamassassin at ATrpms was shipped before Fedora Core picked it
up, and is still doing so, since Fedora Core's version doesn't enable
some parts of it.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net