[mythtv-users] How do I access a forwarded port on Box A from Box B?

Robert Tsai mythtv at tsaiberspace.net
Sat Jun 17 01:49:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:19:54PM -0400, Richard Bronosky wrote:
> I hate to ask this here, but the Debian list is active, but not very
> responsive to non- l33t h at x0r
>  questions.
>
> So, I have a machine behind a firewall on a remote network that is
> reverse port forwarding to a machine with my home network via: ssh
> -p 2222 -N -R 8080:localhost:80 bruno at myhomemachine
>
> On myhomemachine I can surf to http://localhost:8080 and I get the
> content from the machine behind the remote firewall.  All is well.
>
> Now I want to get to that content on the remote firewalled network
> from myotherhomemachine.  Unfortunately, http://myhomemachine:8080
> doesn't work.

If you do "netstat -na" on myhomemachine, you probably see that it is
listening on port 8080 only on 127.0.0.1

You could try using "-g" when you start up the tunnel from the remote
side and see if that causes myhomemachine to listen on 0.0.0.0:8080. I
know it works for "-L" tunnels, but I've never used -R tunnels.

If that doesn't work, then you will have to set up another tunnel or
squid proxy or something on myhomemachine listening on 0.0.0.0 (or
some other outside-accessible IP address) to forward to its
localhost:8080.

> BTW, I don't think IP/Name resolution is the problem.  I'm not using
> those names.  I'm using the internal IP addresses:
> 192.168.1.101  myhomemachine
> 192.168.1.102  myotherhomemachine
>
> So, what can I do to get a SSH reverse forwarded port to be accessible
> to other machine on my local network.

--Rob