[mythtv-users] Garbage at top of recording.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 16 23:09:31 UTC 2006

On 06/16/2006 03:06 PM, A JM wrote:
>  "You'd burn the VBI data to the disk.  However, you can re-encode the
>  video (don't know how to do it in MythBurn, but it's possible) and
>  remove the portion of the video with the garbage lines. "
>
>  Would this be done with ProjectX? Anyone have any directions or
>  processes they are currently going through to eliminate this?

I used to do it with avidemux2, but it's too much work, and I've been
recording stuff with the garbage at the top.  However, thanks to
overscan, no one can see it on playback except those playing it back on
a computer monitor.  (Although those with real video players--like
xine--can zoom in so it's not visible.  To do that in Windows Media
Player, I'm sure you have to buy the $50 video zoom plugin or something.)

>  It's weird that when the video source is played directly to the TV
>  that the garbage isn't present, only when it's recorded... I assume
>  this is related to the hardware that is doing the recording, etc.

It's actually present even when played directly to the TV.  It's just
not shown because of overscan.  The settings you're using to play the
recording allow you to see the whole picture (whereas your playback
settings may not).

Mike