[mythtv-users] Mythbackend causing high load

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Fri Jun 16 17:43:06 UTC 2006

I'm seeing something very familiar, mythbackend uses about 100% CPU
during a recording and though not always, I sometimes see IOBOUND errors
in the log. I have transcode/commflag jobs set to run after midnight
each day, and no other processes are using CPU while mythbackend is
hogging it all.

The weird thing is my box was running fine for a few months prior to a
power outage. After the outage I booted up the box and I started to
notice IVTV buffer overflows happening during every recording causing
the load to spike up to 10+ during each recording. The recording was
useless of course too. This was with IVTV 0.4.1 on a PVR-500.

So I decided to upgrade to IVTV 0.4.5 to see if that solved the problem.
Well, I no longer see IVTV buffer overflow messages in the log, but now
mythbackend uses 100% CPU. I upgraded to the latest SVN snapshot of
019-fixes branch to see if that helped at all, but it didn't.

So now mythbackend uses 100% CPU, the recordings seem to be working
fine, but I can't watch any recordings while this is happening.

I'm running an Athlon 2100 with kernel 2.6.14.

Just last week I could have two recordings going at once, mythcomm flag
running in real-time, and two frontends both watching recordings with no
issues at all. Now one recording at a time and NOTHING else is all that
can happen. :(

Does anyone know what I can do to try and track this issue down?

Thanks.