[mythtv-users] Want some advice on first MythTV build

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jun 16 09:24:43 UTC 2006

On Jun 15, 2006, at 10:08 PM, Troy Beneke wrote:

> In a month or so I'll be putting together a MythTV box to work in
> conjunction with my first foray into non-broadcast TV.
>
> About the only thing I currently have is a couple spare 120 GB
> drives and an old 2.4 GHz B revision P4. I'm looking to build
> something more quiet than powerful. It'll be used primarlily for
> the DVR functionality as well as MAME use. I'll know I'll be needing:
> Case (something that I can put in my living room) -

Silverstone makes some nice LR friendly cases, but so do others.

> Mobo -

Any decent board's OK. Make sure you have enough PCI slots for your
capture cards. I would personally stay away from VIA chipsets as some
have DMA issues which can mean a lot to a Myth system.

> RAM (not sure how much to get) -

512 should be OK, 1GB is better

> Video card (thinking one of those fanless GeForce FX5200) -

Good choice

> DVD burner -

Just about anything will work, if it works in Linux it will work with
Myth. I'd stay away from slot-loaders though.

> PS (thinking about a seasonic 330W) -

Supposed to be a good unit, personally I'd go with more watts though,
depends on how many drives you intend to have.

> Tuner card (don't have an HDTV) -

Hauppauge PVR-150s for analog cable, satellite or NTSC off-air. For
digital I'm not sure.

> Any suggestions? Am I missing anything?

Consider a separate sound card if you have a good audio setup,
doesn't have to be fancy.

The PVRs have remotes, but you might want something that integrates
with whatever other A/V gear you might have in the LR.

Have fun, you will not miss the commercials :-)

All the above are strictly personal opinions, check this list's
archives. The "what works" fora on the Knoppmyth and MythDora sites
can give you a good sense of what does and doesn't work as well.