[mythtv-users] pchdtv cards and cox digital cable.

Shawn Asmussen shawn.asmussen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 00:20:20 UTC 2006

On 6/13/06, namuch at namuch.net <namuch at namuch.net> wrote:

> Can anyone with experience using any of the QAM enabled pchdtv cards with
> Cox digital cable give me some advice on what you've encountered, what HD
> channels you've been able to recieve, etc..
>
> I'm currently using firewire through an SA3250HD, and it's been
> problematic at best.  And now it seems that they (cox) have pushed down a
> firmware upgrade that has rendered the firewire useless from what I can
> tell.
>
> So, I'm thinking about getting  one of the new pchdtv 5500 cards, since
> from what I've read on the site it supports QAM and all that good stuff, but
> I'd like to know what I'm up against first.
>
> I'm in the Phoenix,AZ area if that makes any difference for cox service.

Well, I'm also in the Phoenix, AZ area (Mesa, specifically), and I just
setup an HD-5500 card over the weekend. It wasn't too painful, although you
do have to compile the driver for the 5500 yourself. Also something about
the qamscan.sh script that has been mentioned on here locked up the driver,
so that it got a 'device or resource busy' error when it tried to use
mplayer to open up /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 to test the channel. I had to
reload the modules to make it responsive again. I ended up just cheating,
and copying a friends channels.conf who lives in Gilbert. He had run the
qamscan.sh when he got his HD-3000 card. Here is the full channels.conf that
qamscan.sh found for him when he ran it:

KSAZDT:537000000:QAM_256:49:52:1
KASWDT:537000000:QAM_256:33:36:2
KNXVDT:561000000:QAM_256:49:52:1
KPHODT:561000000:QAM_256:33:36:2
KPNXDT:567000000:QAM_256:49:52:2
KAETDT-2:567000000:QAM_256:65:68:3
KAETDT:567000000:QAM_256:33:34:1
KPNXDT-2:567000000:QAM_256:67:70:4
CLIC:627000000:QAM_256:95:96:22
BOOM:93000000:QAM_256:1585:1588:1
MCTV:651000000:QAM_256:78:79:4
UNKCET:669000000:QAM_256:1840:671:3
KUTP:669000000:QAM_256:1510:1511:1
KAET:669000000:QAM_256:940:941:5
KSAZ:669000000:QAM_256:1580:1581:9
KPHO:669000000:QAM_256:1520:1521:7
KPNX:669000000:QAM_256:1590:1591:8
KNXV:669000000:QAM_256:1600:1601:6
LEAC022:669000000:QAM_256:1610:1611:10
GILBERT:669000000:QAM_256:1830:1831:4
But, I only find about half a dozen of those channels useful, so
here's what I'm running as my channels.conf:

KSAZDT:537000000:QAM_256:49:52:1
KASWDT:537000000:QAM_256:33:36:2
KNXVDT:561000000:QAM_256:49:52:1
KPHODT:561000000:QAM_256:33:36:2
KPNXDT:567000000:QAM_256:49:52:2
KAETDT:567000000:QAM_256:33:34:1

I can tune in all of those channels, and get a good capture off of
them. Hope that information is useful to you.

Shawn Asmussen