[mythtv-users] OT: no more modelines....

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 11:29:34 UTC 2006

On 14/06/06, Stuart Fox <stuart at dontuse.ms> wrote:

That's not a 1080p screen.

> What the "HD Ready Function(480i, 720p, 1080i) via DVI-D (HDCP)" bit mean?
> And whats the i and p bits mean ans what do they do?
> I dont really get all this HD stuff.

"HD Ready" means it meets the minimum HD playback requirements (i.e.
can play 720p video without any scaling as I understand it, therefore
miniumum panel resolution is 1280x720.). To play 1080i content
(1920x1080) it will still need to scale the video down.

i = interlaced video display e.g. 1080i50 - 2 interlaced fields (PAL
50Hz) making up each full frame (giving 25fps), as standard def TV
(576i50) works at the moment.
p - progressive video display e.g. 720p50 - full frames of video shown
at (typically) 50fps, but can be 25fps too for PAL.

1080i content has higher vertical resolution than 720p which can be
noticed on static scenes, but 720p offers smoother motion. 1080p
offers both the increased resolution and smoother motion - the best of
both worlds if you will.

HDCP is the HD copy protection system that can restrict playback of
content to a particular device. DVI-D is HDMI minus the audio
connections, so should be backwards compatible and allows easy hookup
of a DVI-equipped PC.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDTV for reference.

When we do get a new TV (not any time soon hopefully), it'll have to be 1080p.

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/