[mythtv-users] Transcoding and deinterlacing, and other transcode issues

Robert Tsai mythtv at tsaiberspace.net
Tue Jun 13 23:47:27 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 04:20:38PM -0700, Brad Templeton wrote:
> c) I notice that once a recording is old, it vanishes from the
> 'record' table where the 'transcoder' field would have been set for
> it.  The 'recorded' table does not remember this, so if you
> transcode an old recording you are going to get the system default.

The 'recorded' table also has a 'transcoder' field to let you
transcode something after the fact (if for example auto-transcode is
not enabled for a recording schedule). Maybe you are running some
(very?) old version of MythTV?

But yes, I don't think there is any UI to manipulate this value once
something has already been recorded.

My motivation for writing the different "transcoding profiles" stuff
was for saving disk space with some very rough knobs to allow
different levels of "quality". I did not concern myself at all with
any kind of video-quality issues (and hence did not consider any of
these other auto-choose-de-interlacing schemes that seem to pop up
every now and then).

--Rob