[mythtv-users] Extremely Good Deal on 2.5" drive

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 21:52:52 UTC 2006

On 6/13/06, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 13:30 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Jun 13, 2006, at 1:15 PM, Mudit Wahal wrote:
> >
> > > Kurobox, which can hold an IDE HD, is another alternative, though
> > > double the price. Linksys NSLU2 running slug can be used as ext. NAS.
> > > Both of these run linux, comes with source code etc etc. Kuro is quite
> > > poweful, has its own community.
> > >
> > > link for kuro http://kurobox.com/
> > > link for nslu2 http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
>
> both of which are expensive. For the price of the Kurabox, I can get a
> High End Via EPIA M10K (~USD159) or if a lower spec, even cheaper!
> (533Mhz @ USD89)
>
> Just Add Ram and HD.
>
> (actually, that isn't too bad an idea. Geta 533Mhz EPIA, Add in 128MB
> Ram, 1 PCI SATA/IDE adapter and put it into a casing and hook up 4-6
> hard drives for NAS)

How much are the case with power supply for the EPIAs ? Last time I
checked couple of months back, it was as expensive as the mobo itself.
Also, the older EPIAs used to take SDRAM which was expensive compared
to DDR. I think the CPU (266 Mhz, PPC) in kuro is quite powerful. I
dont know how does it compare to 533Mhz EPIA. Kuro has gigethernet
which gives it higher marks.

With Kuro and NSLU2, atleast you will save in power over a long period
of time, as they only take 15-25Watts per hour.

If Kuro has enough horse power to record stuff over the haupagge USB,
then its a perfect low power backend.

Thanks
Mudit