[mythtv-users] Preventing MythTV from Exiting

Jo Shields directhex at apebox.org
Tue Jun 13 14:25:56 UTC 2006

Paul Harrison wrote:
> Pierre Rochefort wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm building a dedicated PC for MythTV. Everything is working fine and
>> MythTV is really a great piece of software.
>>
>> What I can't figure out is how to prevent MythTV from exiting. Once a
>> user exits, the only way to get back in is to dig up the keyboard and
>> restart the front end. I was able to get it to restart automatically
>> but I would rather prevent it from exiting in the first place. If this
>> is in the documentation, I haven't found it yet.
>>
>> Anyone has ideas on how to get this done?
>> Thank you in advance.
>> Pierre
>>

> If you mean you don't want user to be able to exit mythfrontend from the
> menu. All you need to do is set the System Exit Key to 'No Exit Key' on
> the general settings page that way the user will never see the 'Do you
> really want to exit MythTV' screen.
>
> Paul H.

I combined many of the above, for my setup - firstly, I patched Myth to
allow for a SHUTDOWN key, which is different to the EXIT key. Pressing
the power button on the remote, from any menu, will give the "Do you
want to quit" screen, whilst pressing the exit button from the root menu
will not. Next, I patched that screen to remove the "Exit" option - I
only have the option to return to Myth, or shut down the box. Finally, I
have a cron job set up to re-run Mythfrontend if it fails, within 60
seconds.