[mythtv-users] Almost there (ATI & GDM issues)

Andrew Cope andrew at evergreencomputing.com
Tue Jun 13 07:52:48 UTC 2006

Mickey Chandler wrote:
> At 02:35 PM 6/12/2006, Andrew Cope wrote:
>  >I gave up on the new ATI fglrx driver and bought a VGA to SCART Cable.
>  >Had to then fiddle with my xorg.conf file but I've got a working
>  >solution again.
>
> I finally did too.  I picked up a returned nVidia GForce FX 5200
> tonight card for $31 and it's working wonderfully now.
>
> Now if I could only figure out how to handle the automatic login
> asking me for a password thing.

Hi,

If you're not using that machine for anything else, you don't need gdm.

I've turned gdm off and changed my /etc/inittab to do an autologin :
(I'm running debian)

#1:345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --noclear --autologin mythtv tty1
2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

My user is mythtv, and /home/mythtv/.profile contains one line to get X
windows running:
exec startx

And the .xinitrc file starts the window manager and mythfrontend for me:

--------------------- .xinitrc
#/bin/sh
xset -dpms s off
ratpoison &

mythfrontend > /var/log/mythtv/frontend.log 2>> /var/log/mythtv/frontend.err

Note that I use the ratpoison window manager.

Cheers
Andrew
Email:    andrew at evergreencomputing.com
Website:  http://evergreencomputing.com