[mythtv-users] Saved position no longer working

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Tue Jun 13 04:48:03 UTC 2006

    Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:00:10 -0500 (CDT)
    From: "Stuart Larson" <halcyon at obfus.com>

    Thanks for the information.  Unforunately, my "upgrade" was not
    intentional.  I uninentionally downloaded, built and ran the wrong version
    of mythtv to run as a frontend.  That, indeed, is my own fault.  I first
    realized my error when mythfrontend told me my frontend was using a far
    newer protocol, and the backend was using a much older one.

I've said it before and I'll say it again---would it be too much for
Myth to -ASK- before taking such a dangerous action?  How many times
a month do we see mail from users who accidentally upgrade a backend
because of a rogue frontend, and who are then totally screwed unless
they have enough backups to roll back (and even doing -that- takes a
lot of time and effort, depending on what happened and how fast they
even know they just got screwed).  And if they don't have the backups,
they might be forced to run SVN when they didn't intend to, or to
upgrade every -other- FE or SBE, etc etc.

Why doesn't myth ASK before starting a DB upgrade?  If it's really
a total PITA for it to ask every time someone compiles a new SVN
version, then how about a DB flag that says, "Ask" or "Warn" or "Just
do it" or "No! Never!" that defaults to "No! Never!" or "Ask" unless
it's manually set?  After all, someone running SVN can surely set a
flag and never have to be asked or even warned ever again, but this
way it protects people who -don't- want to be on the bleeding edge
from accidentally arriving there---especially since we seem to see
a lot of mail from people confused about exactly which version of
Myth is what, e.g., checking out an SVN version when they meant
19-fixes, or whatever.