[mythtv-users] Taking a Load Off DataDirect ???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 13 00:22:05 UTC 2006

On Jun 12, 2006, at 5:12 PM, Richard Freeman wrote:

> Brian Guilfoos wrote:
>> MySQL replication might be a good candidate.  Just limit the
>> replication
>> user to replication rights only on the relevant tables.
>>

> If you're going to go to all that trouble, why not just have a
> multi-backend multi-frontend centralized system?  Then you'd get a
> shared pool of recordings as well.  There are distributed filesystems
> for linux which would allow you to pool storage as well.
>
> That certainly sounds a lot easier than trying to replicate the
> database
> across multiple independent servers.
>
> Actually, with mysql can you have the database query a single table
> from
> someplace else?  With most databases (Oracle et al) you can create a
> view which queries another database.  No need to replicate the
> data, you
> can just query it from the other server.

All that is true, and in the extreme you could say that the answer is
one giant Myth system for the world that simply records everything
("Everything ever recorded since recording began").

There are problems and issues with sending video over the net,
copyright and bandwidth limitations come to mind. Sending the
listings to my brother's machine is feasible, streaming programs in
DVD or HD quality is not.

As for a centralized database, in effect that is what we have, albeit
with a lot of local caching.

The idea is not to change the world, just look into ways to reduce
the load on DD's servers, should that ever get to be a problem. I was
running two totally independent systems for a while in order to
experiment, and I felt guilty tapping DD twice a day when I really
didn't have to because the lineups were the same for both systems,
but Myth at present provides no easy way to share the data (nor
should it, as it would possibly violate DD's EULA).

Yes, I know I could have transferred the data from one machine to the
other, but I said "easy", meaning a normal non-technical user could
do it (there's that WAF again).

I think a discussion of ways to accomplish this is at the least
premature, and at worst off-topic. I just wondered what other's
thoughts might be as to the desirability of *any* such system.