[mythtv-users] Black and White Capture with VStream XPert

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 15:23:36 UTC 2006

On 12/06/06, jonny Linux <jonnylinux at gmail.com> wrote:

> > If you're using a SCART connector from your source, then it's possible
> > that you're unwittingly feeding an S-Video signal (which has separate
> > colour information) into your composite input.  This would produce a
> > B/W recording.
>

> I'm using a Scart adapter from the back of my VHS player, the scart adapter
> has a composite out, I then have a phone lead running from the composite out
> to the composite in of the capture card. The scart adapter also has an
> S-Video output, so I tried connecting that to the SVideo on the capture
> card, and it was still black and white.
>
> I've now tried the Windows software on the windows partition of the
> computer, using the composite leads as described above - the result was in
> colour! I then rebooted back into Fedora, but the output is still B/W!

Well that's a useful test - so the hardware can be ruled out.

Going back to your original post, you mentioned going through the
options in the channel setup screen.  However the answer is more
likely to be on the screen where you define the picture source.  I'm
afraid I can't remember the exact title but it's in mythtvsetup
between the capture card setup and the channel setup.  If I remember
right, on my card I got to pick a source from a choice of:

tuner
composite
S-Video

Later on in mythtvsetup you get to assign the source to a program listing.

(BTW I'd be surprised if you are using the cx88_dvb module for the
analog part of the capture process.)