[mythtv-users] FM radio support for mythbackend [hack]

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 12 15:17:30 UTC 2006

On 06/11/2006 12:29 PM, Andrew M. Bishop wrote:
> 1) In mythtv-setup under "Video Sources" I set up a new video source
>    which I called "radio".  When asked for an XMLTV grabber I chose
>    the normal one although this doesn't have any radio data.

Sorry, not directly referring to your intended topic, but please do
/not/ do this.  When you set up a new videosource, mythfilldatabase will
download the data for that source.  That means, if you're using an XMLTV
grabber, you will download at least twice (wasting bandwidth) and if
you're using DataDirect, you'll download data for every single day (even
though none of it contains information on your "radio"
channels)--putting unnecessary additional strain on their servers.

If you're using DataDirect and you specify an incorrect
username/password combination (or none at all) to prevent the downloads,
a) their servers are contacted 26+ times for that videosource every day
(trying to get data for every day) and b) it will cause a failure during
execution of mythfilldatabase.  If using 0.19, this means that some
required functionality of mythfilldatabase will not execute (like
re-running the scheduler), which could cause you to record the wrong
shows or to miss scheduled recordings.  If using 0.19-fixes or SVN head,
the rest of the mythfilldatabase functionality will execute, but it's
still an unnecessary strain on DataDirect.

So, to configure a videosource with no grabber, you can:
    a) select "No grabber" on SVN head.
    b) using 0.19 or 0.19-fixes, follow the instructions at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/188022#188022

Mike