[mythtv-users] Firewire troubles Motorola 6412

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 04:07:40 UTC 2006

On 6/11/06, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 13:36 -0500, Allan Wilson wrote:
> >  Let us know how it is going.
>
> Unfortunately, it appears I spoke too soon. The first time I ran the
> plugctl script, the firewire worked for a little while. I was able to
> get a nonempty file out of test-mpeg2, and one recording I scheduled
> through Myth as a test came out well. But when I tried to record the MLB
> game on ESPNHD tonight, once again I am back to nothing but empty files.
> I have tried rerunning the script several times, and rebooting, and
> powering off the cable box, and I am back to square one: nothing but
> empty files off the firewire.
>
> --Greg

Well keep at it, I thought I would never get mine to work right but once you
figure yours out it is well worth it. For what it's worth when mine goes out
I unplug firewire from cablebox, plug firewire back in after 15 secs, tune
cablebox to channel without 5c encrpytion, run the script and it usually
gets it. I had to play with the sleeps just a little to get the script
right, try running the commands by hand for now. Don't forget to use
plugreport and check what happens when you run the plugctl command that was
how I figured out what I needed to do (with hints from what other people
where doing). Hope that helps. Make sure to read the Myth Wiki on Firewire
because it has all the info there but you have to read all of it and
understand it. It took me reading it a couple times after playing with
firewire before I understood all the ins and outs.

Allan