[mythtv-users] Solved: One PVR-250/pcHDTV combination

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 18:08:29 UTC 2006

Upgrading to MythTV 0.19, kernel 2.6.16.20, and ivtv 0.6.2, I ran into
a problem.

With no consistency, the PVR-250 card would be either /dev/video0 or
/dev/video1.
The pcHDTV card would sometimes get /dev/video0 first, so that MythTV would mark
/dev/video0 offline/unavailable.

Here's what I did to (more or less) assure that /dev/video0 would be
the PVR-250.
In /etc/rc.d/rc.local, I added commands to do these steps:

  - remove all /dev/video devices . . . . . . . . rm -f /dev/video*

  - unload kernel module ivtv . . . . . . . . . . rmmod ivtv

  - re-load kernel module ivtv  . . . . . . . . . modprobe ivtv

  - sym-link /dev/video0 to /dev/video1 . . . . . ln -s /dev/video1 /dev/video0

This works even if the PVR-250 does NOT get /dev/video1 assigned to it, because
the sym-link just fails.  The device, /dev/video0, is already assigned
to the PVR-250.

Of course, this may not work for ALL PVR-250/pcHDTV combinations.  Here is the
specific configuration where it worked for me:

  - Motherboard  . . .  ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
  - PCI Slot 2 . . . .  pcHDTV HD-3000
  - PCI Slot 3 . . . .  PVR-250
  - PCI Slot 5 . . . .  AirStar-HD5000

There are (no doubt) other solutions to conflicts such as this one. I just
wanted to document my experience, since it seems to have solved the problem.

--
MM