[mythtv-users] PCHD3000 DVB recording

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jun 11 16:15:26 UTC 2006

On Jun 11, 2006, at 10:02 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> On 6/11/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> Didn't I read somewhere that the reported signal strength ( or BER
>> actually) was meaningless with this card, because it doesn't support
>> the reporting of that information ??
>
> I was under the impression the HD3000 was one of the few cards that
> properly support signal strength (being a linux only card and all), It
> seems to work properly for me.

OK, you made me search out the reference:

http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/DigitalTelevisionDVB

Check out the section : Creating the $HOME/.azap/channels.conf

I think what it is saying is that the strength and snr values are OK,
but the BER is not, and I tend to equate those two in my mind.

So I *did* read it, just didn't remember the exact text correctly :-)

I remember, back when I was playing with QAM, seeing a BER of zero
and thinking "GREAT", but such was not to be :-)