[mythtv-users] [Slightlt OT] Mini-PC capable of playing

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 10 21:46:17 UTC 2006

On Jun 10, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
> One warning is that you might want to watch out for is that the
> current distribution comes preconfigured with the IP address set to
> 192.168.1.6, which means anyone with a subnet other than 192.168.1.x
> will need a crossover cable. Minor inconvinence. Changing the IP
> address for the machine, as well as modifying the IP address the
> hostname "mythtv" (for the backend) points to can be done through SSH.

Actually, every laptop that I have bought in the past year or two has
had an autosensing ethernet port, which can determine which
"polarity" it needs to be to communicate with whatever it is
connected to (MDI or MDI-X).

This can actually be a problem, as when connecting to devices that
have a very short time window to interrupt the boot process, the
delay caused by autosensing can take you past that window.

No guarantee that any particular machine has this feature of course,
but it is becoming more common.

But of course everyone has a crossover cable in their junk box,
right? Or you could use a hub and 2 straight cables.