[mythtv-users] [Slightlt OT] Mini-PC capable of playing RMVB files

Andy Daniels gutano at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 17:22:41 UTC 2006

Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> I'm looking to get a small footpint, (mini-pc if you like) that can be
> used for MythTV (frontend) which has enough horses to play the most
> compressed of videos. (AVI/DIVX/XVID/OGG/and most of all RMVB/RM).
>
> Handling Myth's video or just plain Mpeg is OK for any plain mini-pc,
> (i've played with a EPIA MII 1K but that one just stutters when trying
> to play RMVB/RM files and that seriously blows.)
>
> I wonder if those new Intel Viiv chips can handle the task? Anyone has
> any good recommendations etc?

I haven't tried a great deal of formats yet, but this old XBox I got
from a friend for $25 ( dvd drive is bad ), seems like it will make a
great frontend.  I haven't decided yet if I'm going to go all the way
with a Linux install and an actual myth build, or use an XBox
application like X Box Media Center ( XBMC ) with a MythTV type plugin (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmcmythtv ).

I think a lot of people really over compensate with performance on a
frontend, if you are just playing recorded analog television you should
be able to get by with very little.

Andy Daniels-