[mythtv-users] "Fuzzy" digital TV

Rob Baumstark rbaumstark at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 05:21:09 UTC 2006

> Hello,
>
> I'm experiencing some weird problems with my DVB-T tuners (two of
> them) since moving recently.
>
> The problem, I think, is with reception. A quick rundown:
> 1) Analog is perfect (This being my TV's tuner). I have never had TV
> this clear in my previous 2 places.
> 2) Digital (through mythtv) is perfect while there is low to mid-level
> action on the screen.
> 3) Digital, at high action (such as panning across a soccer field)
> goes all fuzzy. Its hard to describe, but its as if every second line
> is out of sync with the next, so instead of nice crisp lines in the
> image, I get an image that looks "fuzzy". As soon as the action stops,
> the lines go crisp (perfect) again.
>
> Like I said, I suspect it is reception related, although I'm not sure.
> In my previous places, the analog has been less then perfect. Digital
> was also less then perfect in my previous places (In cloudy weather it
> would be useless), but I never had this problem - It either worked
> perfect or not at all. None of this fuzzyness.
>
> I'm living in a flat, using the arial plug in the wall (implying it is
> connected to a communal arial on the roof of the apartment block).
>
> Any clues as to what could be causing this would be appreciated.

Thats interlacing.  There is an option somewhere in the mythfrontend
setup screens to enable deinterlacing, and the method of
deinterlacing.  I'm not sure which method is best, I haven't played
with it much yet.

What would be really nice is an option to do proper 3:2 pulldown.
Though I'm not sure it would apply to your video - depends if its PAL
or NTSC.