[mythtv-users] Setting up myth with ATSC and Cable Tuners

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 15:29:14 UTC 2006

On 6/8/06, Bish, Tim <Tim.Bish at sensis.com> wrote:

> > On 6/7/06, Bish, Tim <Tim.Bish at sensis.com> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > No RAID, just using them both for storage, I was planning on setting
> up
> > > a separate file server machine later with a RAID array.
> >
> > I'd suggest putting your tuners in the fileserver and having it also
> > act as the main backend, no reason to transfer all the data from
> > recordings over the network (plus you would need 1000bT switches).
> >

> Well, I've actually got a Gigabit network in my house :)  But I wasn't
> planning on doing recording on the file server, just storing my AVI's
> from the series I watch, and my music collection.  The main box is
> really meant for recording the few shows that I would record, not many.

so your recordings drive will still be local? I'd still recommend that
your recordings drive be RAID10 or possibly RAID5 depending on how
much you plan on using it.

> Last night I got all the channels working in the guide using the 0.19
> from atrpms.  I now only have two HD channels that are not getting any
> guide data, not sure why, any thoughts?  I found that before what I was

guide data is taken from zap2it, so make sure your zap2it listing is correct.

> doing was scanning for channels on my PVR150 instead of just using the
> get guide data from listing source which seemed to dork things up
> somehow, I didn't realize that we didn't need to scan here in the US til
> I read a message on here yesterday.
>
> Things are starting to look up :)  There is some edge distortion on the
> HD channels but the viewing time wasn't during primetime so I'm not sure
> what primetime stuff looks like.

what type of edge distortion? note that 4:3 content in a 16:9 display
with side bars will exacerbate hour glass effects on non fixed pixel
displays (ie. crt's and rp's).

> Now I can start to play with other things too like getting the remote to
> work with the IRTrans module on my OriginAE x11, and getting spdif
> output working.

have fun!

--
Steve