[mythtv-users] Stupid S-Video Problem Continues

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jun 8 13:44:38 UTC 2006

On Jun 8, 2006, at 7:11 AM, Will Constable wrote:

> I am experiencing what one user described as a winshield-washer
> effect on my TV—bars that (depending on the moment) are oriented in
> a diagonal or vertical manner and scroll from side to side on the
> screen.  I have tried goofing around with the s-video connector—I
> unplugged VGA and turned off the monitor and moved the PC to the
> middle of the room where it might have less interference form other
> nearby electronics—no luck . I tried putting a friend’s Geforce 3
> in place of my Gefore 4 mx but it wouldn’t run the same xorg.conf I
> had made and I don’t know the ins and outs of the nv driver… I
> think my card is causing the problem, but it could be settings like
> horizsync and vertrefresh.  I have tv set to h:50-70 and v:60-60.
> Does anyone know about any other ‘options’ that I could add to the
> device settings that might improve image quality?  I would be
> willing to disable vga and have only TV out but I don’t know how to
> get my xorg.conf to do that.  Any help would be great!

So do I understand correctly that you running VGA and S-Video at the
same time ?

What you describe is interference between the two video signals of
differing frequencies. If the problem still happens with the cables
disconnected then your problem could well be with your card.

The cards are supposed to be designed to be able to do this, but the
early ones especially had some problems.

I don't see how it could make a difference, but you might want to try
the nVidia driver instead of the generic nv one. That driver is at
least intended for multiple outputs but I am not sure about the nv one.

Running your VGA signal at a different resolution might make the
problem less obtrusive (or worse).