[mythtv-users] video distortion

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 7 14:56:28 UTC 2006

On Jun 7, 2006, at 8:38 AM, Will Constable wrote:

> I am running a frontend via s-video and when I use the same TV and
> s-video cable from my laptop via windows I get a perfect picture,
> but using linux on my myth box there is something wrong.  The color
> is fine but there are vertically oriented bars of distortion that
> scan from left to right constantly—they are transparent in the
> sense that you can see everything on the screen just fine at any
> given time, but they are really annoying to look at.  I am
> wondering if the video card itself, an old Geforce 4 MX420 I had
> lying around, is just not a good enough card or might be damaged,
> or if maybe a setting for the nvidia driver in my XOrg.conf could
> fix this.  Any suggestions?
That card should work OK, at least it should produce distortion-free
pictures.

Is what you are seeing a "windshield wiper" type effect ? This can be
caused by another video signal that's slightly out of time to the one
you are wanting to watch, you often see it on a TV set that is
overloaded by input signal and the adjacent channel gets into the
picture a bit, or it can be caused by an overloaded cable or antenna
amplifier ("cross-mod" or composite triple beat products).

But to see it on a pure computer video would be odd, are you perhaps
running in twinview with a different signal on the DVI/VGA output ?

Do you see the same problem on the straight DVI/VGA output of the card ?