[mythtv-users] Integrated Sound vs. Sound Card, suggestions ??

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Wed Jun 7 13:49:43 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:
> With all the advice I've received I think I am on the right path to
> some speakers and some electronics to drive them.
>
> Just to start out, I hooked the audio output of my motherboard to my
> MacIntosh amps and fed some speakers I borrowed from my brother
> (older Cerwin Vegas)
>
> The problem is that I am getting a lot of hum and garbage coming out
> of the line out (lime green) connector on my motherboard.
>
> Even with all inputs muted and potted down with alsamixer, the noise
> is still unacceptable. I tried the usual re-dressing cables, checking
> grounds etc., to no avail. Unplugging the cable from the computer
> stops all noise and hum, so it does appear to be emanating from there.
>
> The answer is, I suspect, a sound card. Why should integrated audio
> be any better than integrated video ?? At least I do have a vacant
> PCI slot.
>
> So once again I am seeking suggestions, this time for a sound card
> that will drive whatever receiver I wind up getting and give decent
> audio, without buying more card than I really need.
>
> As always, I much appreciate the good advice to be found here.

The best sound card I've found for Myth is the Turtle Beach Riviera.  It
has optical SPDIF output and works out of the box with no convuluted
.asoundrc (I don't even use one at all).  Aopen makes a small form
factor card based on the same chipset in case you need a half-height
card.  Both available at newegg for less than $30

Kevin