[mythtv-users] Integrated Sound vs. Sound Card, suggestions ??

Chris gchris at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 7 09:56:31 UTC 2006

> The problem is that I am getting a lot of hum and garbage coming out
> of the line out (lime green) connector on my motherboard.

Define garbage? Clicks and the like that change along with moving the
mouse, or HD spinning up, etc.?

If that is the case most likely you have a ground loop and you should
either switch the equipment to share the same ground, or if that is not
feasible isolate the AUDIO ground(Leave the AC ground completely intact
for safety reasons)

On the contrary, audible noise from onboard audio is a very common
complaint with many popular motherboards and is caused either by poor
decoupling/signal routing in the mb itself or a power supply with poor
output regulation.  You can quickly establish this simply by plugging a
set of headphones into that lime green mb jack.

Even a cheap used SB Live card for around $15 will produce much improved
audio and the newer SB Audigy or Turtle Beach Riviera cards are even
better.  What you ultimately spend should be determined by the quality
of the rest of your audio system.