[mythtv-users] Speaker Suggestions ???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 6 19:40:15 UTC 2006

On Jun 6, 2006, at 12:28 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> On 6/5/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> With all the concentration on getting the video working right I have
>> neglected my audio output devices.
>>
>> Right now I'm using a Harmon Kardon 2.1 system that came with a Dell
>> system I purchased 5 years ago, and it basically leaves a lot to be
>> desired (read that: SUCKS).
>>
>> I'm looking for a decent 2.1 speaker/amplifier system that does not
>> cost more than say $200 US.
>>
>> Obviously there's no point in getting something that's far better
>> than the signal that's driving it. The audio is all captured by PVR
>> cards from analog broadcasts and encoded with the default settings of
>> Myth.
>
> are you using this more as a computer or is it dedicated for Myth?

This is strictly a Myth machine, nothing else.

> for general computer speakers Klipsch make some excellent computer
> speakers,
> http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=924
>
> for dedicated use I'd agree with those that suggested getting a
> dedicated receiver and some real speakers.

I don't think we're *too* OT here, everybody using Myth has to get
sound out of the box somehow, and a discussion of the options would
seem OK, I hope.

I'd like to get a term nailed down. "Receiver" to me used to be an FM
tuner, pre-amp and power amplifier in one box, with some input
switching arrangements. It "received" FM transmissions.

Now I guess "receiver" means something else. Am I correct in assuming
it means a box that has:

Some method of decoding the various methods used to get multiple
"surround sound" channels split up to go to the appropriate speaker
(via a power amp channel).

Some passive or active method of separating the very low audio
frequencies to go to a deparate sub-woofer output.

Input switching arrangements to select from several inputs.

Perhaps some arrangement for switching video signals, probably in
parallel with the above.

Audio power amplifiers for however many channels it is designed to use.

In other words; These so-called "receivers" receive nothing, but are
simply decoder/amplifiers ?

Sounds suspiciously like the "quad" systems of the 1970s :-)

But I suppose I should start looking into one, to keep up with the
times :-)