[mythtv-users] Any ideas how to make my hard drive shut up?

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 15:05:59 UTC 2006

Richard Bronosky wrote:
> On 6/6/06, Andrew Cope <andrew at evergreencomputing.com> wrote:
>
>> You can turn off the log file in /etc/mysql/my.cnf by commenting out
>> this line:
>>
>> log = /var/log/mysql/mysql.log  # might be different on your system
>>
>> Mysql will continue to write a more efficient binary log.
>>

> Yeah, I saw that, and considered that.  If it comes to that, I would
> really prefer to change the logging so that the SELECT statements
> don't get logged, but the data modifying statements do.
>
> It seems that the table recordedmarkup is getting INSERT statements in
> groups of 60 every 10-15 seconds along with SELECTs and UPDATEs
> from/to jobqueue.  So, this probably during commercial flagging.
>
> I guess that I'd like to configure mythtv to suspend flagging jobs
> during playback.  I have it set to flag during recording, but it is
> really annoying during playback.
>
> I didn't see any way to change this.  Ideas?

Beyond allowing jobs only to happen at specific times, I don't think
there is much chance to stop flagging during playback.
It's either in mythtv-setup, or in the general options; you can set jobs
to only be able to run at certain times.  So, it could be useful if you
watch TV everyday from 6-7, say; then you could disable jobs from
running during that time.
So basically your drive is grinding and that's noisy.... Did you try
hdparm -M128 /dev/hda ?  It doesn't matter *what* my drive does at any
time whatever time, I hear absolutely nothing, and this is in no way
exaggerated.  It's an 80GB maxtor diamond max 9, one of the noisiest
drive in recent years OOTB, only because they ship it with ACM off by
default for max performance.  I let flagging happen during playback
because sometimes I watch a show a few min before it's done recording
and flagging is set to start right when a show ends.
Raphael