[mythtv-users] Alternatives to X-10, was: X-10 Module for Myth?

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 02:57:06 UTC 2006

Richard Bronosky wrote:
> On 6/2/06, Nick Ellson <grimm at nickellson.com> wrote:
>> I mostly live at x-10.com, with a few devices from smarthomeusa.com (for
>> the high power RF transcievers and the Sprinkler System heads)
>
> I used X-10 a few years ago and was very displeased.  The RF receiver
> got HORRIBLE reception, and I had the 3-way dimmer attached to my
> chandelier melt down and start sizzling TWICE!  I love geeking out on
> stuff, but I'm not will to burn my home down for it.  I now use
> Leviton, and would like to find something that will work in
> conjunction with my existing faedra switches.

My point *exactly*. The cheap stuff might just work perfectly for you
for years and years. And it might burn down your home. Your (as in the
community, not you Richard) insurance might cover the aftermath but mine
will not.

I refer you back to my first post on this issue:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/207615#207615
and you will see that I was not exaggerating about the use of accelerants :)

I still recommend Lutron over Leviton. Leviton stuff is alright but is
not built for longevity, QC is questionable, integrator/dealer training
is cammoflaged as sales pitches and they only answer to Home Despot. The
downside for the DIY'er is that Lutron is not whored out like Leviton is
so it will be harder to obtain but has a notably better track record
across the board and infinitely better support to the integrator.

Seriously folks, when you start mucking about with high voltage, consult
someone who does it legally and professionally and is at the top of
their game. Do you select a doctor because he/she has cheapest rates? If
you are in the US, UK or AUS, I will *gladly* refer you to an honest pro
for an involved project.

--
mw