[mythtv-users] Dishnetwork ViP211

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 6 02:38:24 UTC 2006

On Jun 5, 2006, at 6:56 PM, Mark (home) wrote:

> On Monday 05 June 2006 02:03 pm, Brian Wood wrote:
>

>> I have two USB ports on my Dish model 942 receiver. The ports are
>> mentioned in the manual several times, each time beginning with the
>> phrase "In the Future".
>>
>> The PocketDish device is the only thing I have heard of that might
>> actually use the ports.
>
> I seriously doubt that ANY high speed port will EVER work on a Dish
> network
> box.  I'd pray for someone to be able to hack the box somehow and
> get a
> direct stream enabled.  HDTV recording off satellite REALLY needs
> some help.

Agreed.

I'm just about to try recording an HD program on my Dish receiver/
DVR, take it apart and try to mount the hard drive on a Linux machine
and see if I can learn anything from the drive contents.

I find it hard to believe they would invent an entire partition and
filesystem just to foil me, but they might well store the encrypted
stream on the drive, and de-crypt it on playback just as if it were a
live stream off the bird.

Is it just the MPAA folks who are so paranoid about their precious
content that they prevent mpeg streams from being accessible ? I wish
they would put that kind of effort into making "content" that's worth
watching.

If I can watch the recording anytime I want to from the receiver, why
would they object to my watching it some other way? Or do they want
the receiver to " call home" and report each time I watch it ?

Please not that I am *not* trying to steal any content, or violate
the law in any way, nor do I encourage anyone else to do so, with
Myth or any other system.