[mythtv-users] Debian etch & lirc-modules-source

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Mon Jun 5 14:07:06 UTC 2006

On 4-Jun-06, at 8:02 PM, Mike wrote:

> So my question, if its even possible with the debian packages and
> these
> 2 possibly incompatible versions. Has somebody done this before
> (besides
> me who can't seem to do it again)?

I've gone down that same path multiple times but never gotten lirc-
modules-source to work. Eventually I give up and build & install lirc
manually. If you mix debian packages and raw lirc releases watch out
for the location of the config files - debian puts them in /etc/lirc
but the unpackaged Makefile puts them in /etc. I use /etc/lirc as the
master and use soft links to keep the unpackaged stuff in sync.

Also, lirc-modules-source puts its source in /usr/src/modules so dpkg-
makekpkg will see it up and make module debs for you when you build
your kernel. Well, it would if lirc-modules-source worked. Anyhow
that /usr/src/modules thing is now deprecated, you're supposed to
build module packages after your kernel build using a new tool but I
don't think lirc has been packaged for it. Follow the endless linked
READMEs for more non-information.

I last upgraded my kernel in November and things were a mess lirc-
wise. I was hoping lirc had sorted itself out by now but I guess not.
Other than this peccadillo debian has always been smooth sailing for
me so just hold your nose and type make install as root.

- George