[mythtv-users] xvmc and mpeg4

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jun 4 12:48:49 UTC 2006

On Jun 4, 2006, at 6:40 AM, Nedim Cholich wrote:

> Am I correct to assume that xvmc's iMotion and iDCT only work with
> mpeg2 files? So on files transcoded from mpeg2 to mpeg4 I loose the
> ability to have xvmc help with rendering?

You are correct.

> I have definately observed this as any transcoded mpeg4 shows don't
> use xmvc. But then again why are there options to enable iDCT and
> iMotion on the transcoding menu in mythtv?
>
> If this is true it makes a case against transcoding files in such a
> way (converting to mpeg4).

Yes, there are other reasons to not use MPEG-4 (a MediaMVP can't play
them for example). The main advantage is the smaller file size, I
have yet to find any other advantage.

There may be some video cards/chipsets that can assist in mpeg-4
decoding. If not, there will probably be some soon. The satellite
providers are moving towards mpeg-4 which will probably drive many
things towards that format, as CPUs get faster.

OTOH hard drives are getting cheaper per GB. With perpendicular
technology this trend should accelerate. I see the smaller files as
more advantageous in terms of how much data you need to pump over a
network to play a video remotely, as opposed to the storage requirement.