[mythtv-users] Screen Saver / Menu dimmer? Is it possible?

Bob Cottingham bobnvic at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 19:18:07 UTC 2006

On 6/3/06, William <wmunson at rochester.rr.com> wrote:
> I find my family frequently leaves the tv on at the main or recordings menu
> for extended periods of time and I am concened about burnin. Is there a
> how-to for setting up a screen saver with mythtv's menu system. It would
> have to respond to lirc remote commands and I would prefer a simple dimming
> of the menu to barely visible.

I run xscreensaver with glslideshow showing family pictures and dpms
turned off in xorg.conf.  Mythfrontend automatically detects
xscreensaver running at startup and works correctly with it.  The
family really enjoys seeing the pictures displayed too. The only
problem I have is that mythtv responds to whatever key you press to
clear the screensaver.  I've found that the up and down buttons are
pretty safe, however if the picture was paused, up and down don't do
anything so it doesn't clear the screensaver and we then have to try
the play or pause button.  It would be nice if mythtv didn't respond
to the key that cleared xscreensaver and any button worked to clear
it, but over all I've been extremely pleased with this solution and
appreciate seeing family pictures from over the years.

Bob C