[mythtv-users] HD Card Suggestion / Xvid hw Encoding

Calin Brabandt cbrabandt at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 2 07:45:11 UTC 2006

> I also noticed that one of the dvico (Gold model?)
cards has hardware divx/xvid support.

Wade,

I have several Dvico Fusion cards--Fusion 3 Gold,
Fusion 3 Gold Q, and Fusion 5 lite.  None of them have
hardware encoders, though the non-lite models offer
the software to do post capture re-compression.  I
don't think there's a home computer today that can do
HD mpeg4 compression in realtime.  In fact, I've been
doing beta testing of a commercial broadcast video
server at work and it's hard pressed to do high
quality compression of SD video to mpeg4 H.264 in
realtime.  The server is a leading edge 2-way server
too.  (Intel Bensley platform with Woodcrest CPUs).

BTW, the Fusion 5 lite tuner does not seem to be quite
as sensitive for OTA ATSC as the older 3 models, but
it works great for QAM cable with Myth--once I got the
channel mappings worked out.  The analog picture
freezes nearly instantly after selecting a V4L analog
channel however.  Still have to figure that one out.

Good luck

-Cal