[mythtv-users] LIRCD will load as root.. But not as mythtv?

Daniel Milani dmilani at verizon.net
Thu Jun 1 04:10:32 UTC 2006

I am having similar problems with lirc not starting at boot.  It will
start manually after I load the kernel module, and  "service lircd
start" as root.  One caveat for me is that Jarod's patch for
rc.sysinit-mm.diff doesn't work for me. It returns:
Hunk #1 FAILED on 206
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED

regarding the current thread I don't have a file named 10-lirc.rules in
/etc/udev/rules.d/, but there is one named lirc.rules
It contains this:

KERNEL="lirc[0-9]*",    NAME="lirc%n"
KERNEL="lirc0",         SYMLINK="lirc"

I am running FC5 and have followed Jarod's outline.  Any thoughts would
be appreciated.

Dan

~

  R. G. Newbury wrote:
 > Michael Jones wrote:
 >> I've already tried changing the permissions on the /var/lock/subsys
 >> directory and that doesn't solve it.. It also causes problems for
other
 >> areas of the system.
 >>
 >> LIRCD doesn't actually have a log location..so nothing to change
there.

 > ]
 > The group and owner of your lirc file is probably the problem.
 > Your /etc/udev/rules,d folder should have a file 10-lirc.rules with
the
 > line:
 >
 > KERNEL="lirc[0-9]* SYMLINK="lirc" GROUP="mythtv" MODE+"0666"
 >
 > That line creates the symlink, does a chgrp and an chmod all at once.
 >
 > Geoff
OOOOPPPS!

Correcting my own typos:

  KERNEL="lirc[0-9]*" SYMLINK="lirc" GROUP="mythtv" MODE="0666"